Cauliflower seems to be the favorite low carb substitute for a range of comfort foods, including tortillas, pizza crust and mashed potatoes. I’ve made them all to varying degrees of success, but using cauliflower for mock mashed potatoes is by far the best tasting in my mind. It wasn’t long (two dinner’s worth) before my family preferred the keto mashed cauliflower over traditional mashed potatoes. Even my athletic son who wasn’t the slightest interested in a low carb or keto diet came to prefer it. The bonus is that they are quick and easy to make.
We even slipped it in at Thanksgiving and grandma had no idea that it wasn’t her beloved mashed Yukon Gold potatoes. Grandma is 94 years old, but still. She’s had a lot of mashed potatoes in her life and this one slipped right by her.
Keto Mashed Cauliflower (aka Mock Mashed Potatoes)
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon straight chicken base or bouillon paste (may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- S & P to taste
- Set a large pot of water to boil over high heat.
- Cut out stem of cauliflower and pull off florets (if you hold the whole head of cauliflower over a counter and smash it down firmly on the stem end, it should break apart without having to cut the stem out). Place the florets in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until tender when pricked with a fork. Drain well; do not let cool
- In a bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower with the Parmesan, garlic, chicken base, and salt & pepper until almost smooth, or until it is the texture you prefer.
If you want the recipe for the mock fried chicken shown in the picture above click here.