Our farm is overflowing with blueberries! The six-hundred plants have enjoyed the milder winters of the last couple of years along with the abundance of rain (the rain is more acid than irrigation water and the blueberries love this).
So, our kitchen is bustling with creative ways to use the blueberries. We’re making blueberry jams, blueberry jellies, blueberry syrups, blueberry shrubs, and now…….Blueberry Bourbon BBQ Sauce
After tinkering with 6-7 recipes online, I’ve come up with one that I personally love and have brought it to market(s). Here are a couple of recipes that the sauce goes well with. You could certainly interchange your favorite BBQ sauce with any of these, but I will attest they are wonderful with the Blueberry BBQ Sauce.
Blueberry Bourbon Glazed Ribs
- 1 1/2 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper and 1 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt (or use your own favorite rub)
- 4 lb. meaty baby back ribs or 2-3 lbs boneless country-style ribs
- Blueberry Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees & position racks in upper and lower third of oven
- In small bowl, whisk together garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and salt. Set ribs on rimmed baking sheets and rub with the spice rub.
- Cover with foil and roast for 1 1/2 hours, until tender, switching pans halfway through. Remove ribs from oven and pour off the liquid in the pans
- Increase heat to 375 degrees (can also use broil). Working with one sheet of ribs at a time, brush the underside of each rack with some glaze and bake or broil until browned. Flip the ribs and repeat on the other side. Transfer baking sheet to bottom shelf of oven. Repeat with remaining ribs.
- Transfer ribs to work surface and slice between the bones. Mound the ribs on a platter and pass the remaining glaze at the table
- Serve with a rich berry-scented red wine.
Grilled Steaks with Blueberry Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- T. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground pepper
- 1 pound steak (like filet mignon), 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick, trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- Preheat grill to high
- Combine thyme, oil, salt and pepper in small bowl. Rub mixture on all sides of steaks. Grill the steaks 3-5 min. per side for medium-rare. Let steaks rest for 5 minutes before serving with the sauce on the side.
Grilled Salmon with Blueberry BBQ Sauce
- 4 (6-oz) salmon steaks
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill or broiler to medium high heat
- Brush salmon with oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Grill or broil until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Serve with blueberry sauce.