I’ve been playing around with low carb smoothies trying to get good compliant mixes that taste good and keep you full until lunch. It took me a while to buy in to the smoothie trend, but I’m fully on-board now. The blended smoothies are great ways of getting leafy greens and protein into our diets, both of which have a pretty high correlation with weight loss success.
Template for a Basic “cover-the-bases” Smoothie:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup frozen berries (blackberries, blueberries, strawberries are best tasting)
- 1 scoop protein powder (Isopure, Premier, or MuscleTech are good brands – just make sure your powder is a whey isolate and not a plant-based powder)
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds (these are great for calcium and some minerals that are hard to get)
- 1-2 handfuls fresh spinach leaves water (I use 1 cup, but it just depends on how thick you like it)
- 1 cup water plus some ice cubes
Blend it all up together, pour in a glass and enjoy! Remember to run hot water in your blender to sit so that cleanup is easy when you get home from work or have time to rinse it out (it’s hard to clean if you let it sit without water).
Compliant Substitutions or Add-ins for the Basic Smoothie:
I never get tired of this smoothie for breakfast and look forward to it each morning. If you do get bored with the same thing every day however, here are a range of low-carb compliant ingredients that you can substitute in to the above standard (or simply add in):
- romaine lettuce instead of spinach
- undistilled apple cider vinegar (if you have digestion issues or flatulence)
- peanut butter (not much, it’s dense in calories)
- cottage cheese (high protein)
- MCT oil, or coconut oil
- cacao nibs
Enjoy! If you want to know more about low-carb diets and/or need support, accountability or information from someone who has “been there, done that”, I would love to share and help as your personal online diet coach. If low carb is not your thing, there are plenty of options (vegan coaches, vegetarian coaches, Bulletproof coffee coaches, etc.) Try it out! The first 3 days are free with any coach.
Click here to link to my coaching profile, and you can explore other coaches from there: